See the great Pug Pictures!  And post your own!Shop Fun Pug Stuff!
Pug Snorts Forum
We are a FREE community for pug dog lovers! Currently on hiatus.

Gallery      Home      Shopping
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pug can't stop licking paws

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pug Snorts Forum Forum Index -> Ask a Pug Pal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelseaamac
Baby Pup
Baby Pup

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Pug can't stop licking paws Reply with quote

My little Magnolia "Maggie" May (1 1/2 years old) won't stop licking her paws. I noticed her dew claw (the upper claw) was a little swollen and red. Upon closer inspection, the underside of her paw and in between her toes was a bit raw and red too.

Like most pugs she doesn't really like me to touch her feet, but when I pushed on them a little they didn't seem to cause her pain and they don't feel hot to the touch.

I read this could be a food allergy (I've already switched her to no grain/gluten foods and things have improved so I think this may be the last improvement that hasn't happened yet) or a fungus. Last night I washed them thoroughly and rotated between applying Vitamin E and Neosporin (particularly for any pain relief and inflammation). I've tried to avoid using alcohol or peroxide as it's very damaging to healthy cells as well.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM? All I can do right now to avoid her constant licking (when I'm not around to really watch) is put a cone on her (which she hates and it makes me feel so bad!). People have told me dogs lick to soothe and their bacteria is healing, but I've read extensively that excessive licking can exacerbate the problem.

Help me!

(On a side note: I think she might not be full pug. If anyone wants to take a guess at what her mix is I would love to hear it!)
Heather
Good Pug
Good Pug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also had a problem with one of our boys licking his paws a while back. We think it was an allergic reaction to the laundry detergent we were using. It seemed to bother him more in the mornings(after he had been sleeping in our bed) and after we got home from work (after he had been sleeping on his bed). Once we changed laundry detergents we didn't have any more trouble. Just an idea, hope this helps!
chelseaamac
Baby Pup
Baby Pup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Pug licking paws Reply with quote

Heather wrote:
We also had a problem with one of our boys licking his paws a while back. We think it was an allergic reaction to the laundry detergent we were using. It seemed to bother him more in the mornings(after he had been sleeping in our bed) and after we got home from work (after he had been sleeping on his bed). Once we changed laundry detergents we didn't have any more trouble. Just an idea, hope this helps!

I appreciate your reply, but I don't think that's it. She chews all day when she can. I'm pretty sure it's the food (and we've since changed) because a neighbor was using the same food and had the same problem (Eukanuba just in case anyone wants to know).

I'm more looking for a helpful way to calm any itchiness.
Anya
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chelsea,
That picture of you and Maggie is great!

I'm glad you've found a food that is helping with her problem. I agree that it is probably some type of allergen, but whether it's internal or external would be another question. Do you feed her any treats that may have ingredients in them that aren't good (stuff like Snausages and other treats that are high in food coloring and additives?).

Another thought along Heather's line of thinking is that perhaps she is allergic to something she walks on every day... perhaps your carpet? Your carpet freshener or cleaner? Or maybe where you walk her outdoors... is there patches of ground covering that she goes through? Or is there a chance that they have sprayed with pesticide, herbicide or fertilizer in the areas where you walk?

That kind of leads me to the next question.... Is this a newish thing or has she done this all of her 1.5 years?

As far as what she's mixed with... her face does look very puggish, but I tend to agree that it would seem she has something mixed in there. No doubt, she is adorable! Wink Does she have the full curly cue tail?

Click here for some of my wonderful foster 'kids'
chelseaamac
Baby Pup
Baby Pup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Pug can't stop licking paws Reply with quote

Hi Anya,

Thanks for the reply and the picture comment! I've switched her to a grain/gluten free food and I never fed her anything like Snausages. I was feeding her high quality treats, but they (and her food) were very grain heavy. Even the detergent/soap free, natural shampoo I was using had wheat in it! Since I've switched everything to grain free it has helped.

I don't use any carpet cleaners and I vacuum often. It could be an allergy to the grass: I live in Florida so there's a lot of humidity and I live in a townhome so the neighborhood is sprayed for pesticides. There's not much I can do in that case.

Do you have any ideas to relieve any itchiness? Her paws are not as red as they were before since she's been leaving them alone (thanks to my relentless watching and the cone) so I haven't been doing anything to them, but I was putting Neosporin and Vitamin E on them before.

She hasn't been chewing like this until about 2 months ago so I was pretty convinced it was a reaction to the food I'd switched her to before then.

Unrelated question (just popped into my head): does anyone know how to get a pug to stop eating EVERYTHING?! This little monster eats whatever she gets her mouth on. I bought some natural bitter apple spray and it helps a little, but it's driving me crazy because she still tries to eat it even with the spray.

She does have the full curly cue tail and she is definitely MOSTLY pug, but when I read that pugs always have black ears and the fact that she hardly has a 'mask' I figured she was a mutty. I'm thinking pekingese/pug. I was thinking of buying one of those mouth swab things where they tell you the breed, just for curiosity's sake.
Anya
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if you do that mouth swab thing, I think one of the labs is located right here in Davis. Laughing

Yeah, except for the 'missing' mask and ears, she looks exactly like a pug. Did you get to see any of her littermates?

As far as the itchiness, you might try to rinse off her paws after you've been in areas where you suspect she might have come in contact with something that could be irritating her. I wouldn't wash with soap, just a clear rinse. It may just provide her a little relief, but if it does improve the situation, then you might be able to narrow down what local area triggers her itchiness.

About the 'eating everything'.... maybe Judy and Christina will pipe in on that since they both have 'eaters'. It's normal for puppies to be curious and to chew stuff but they usually outgrow it. In some cases, though, it turns into a bad habit, like an obsessive compulsive type thing.

Check out the discussion we had on this recently here

http://www.pugpups.com/pugsnorts/viewtopic.php?t=4006

judy
Pug Fanatic
Pug Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Whatever mix she is,,she is adorable,,our little female eats everything,,I mean everything and I have not found any answer or cure except to follow right behind her when she is outside,,,,judy
chelseaamac
Baby Pup
Baby Pup

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Pug can't stop licking paws Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as the itchiness, you might try to rinse off her paws after you've been in areas where you suspect she might have come in contact with something that could be irritating her. I wouldn't wash with soap, just a clear rinse. It may just provide her a little relief, but if it does improve the situation, then you might be able to narrow down what local area triggers her itchiness.

I'm going to try this from now on. My boyfriend thinks she's created this problem psychologically, but I'm convinced it's the grass or something. Her feet are still very red. I think I'm going to rinse them when I come in from now on.
CharliesMama
Potty Trained Pup
Potty Trained Pup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the eating everything in sight problem is a touchy subject. Charlie outgrew it around 2ish. I don't know if it had anything to do with my "Charlie DO NOT EAT THAT!!!" or the fact that I brought him home a new baby brother that fascinated him. Either way, he just stopped. He now brings me presents - leaves and twigs - from the backyard and drops them at my feet. BUT - he doesn't eat them. He's so cute.

Just be consistant and try and catch her before she gets something in her mouth and using a sharp "no!" everytime might help her catch on. I've see the Dog Whisperer teach a dog who ate all forms of tissue paper and toilet paper to stop. He simply put the tissue paper a foot in front of the dog and used his weird little sound to stop her each time she went for the paper. When she backed away, he gave her a treat.

Just a suggestion!
~ Oliver (Fawn), BDay 02/14/08
LoveMyPug
Baby Pup
Baby Pup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to get a box of baby wipes (hypoalergenic) and keep them by the door. When the yard is muddy I use them on my pugs and it's quicker probably than rinsing.
chelseaamac
Baby Pup
Baby Pup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd check in with some updates.

We tried the laundry detergent thing. I was using Gain so I switched to Seventh Generation free one (I couldn't find the baby formula one, but this one is free of dyes and fragrances), but she still continues to lick her paws red sometimes.

I think I've narrowed it down to the grass bothering her so we've been rinsing her feet whenever she comes back inside from being outside. I also bought a spray for itchiness and hot spots by Ark Naturals. I bought it specifically because it only has oils (Neem, Citronella [so can be used to keep bugs off when outside -- we live in Florida so lots of mosquitos], Celery, and Eucalyptus oils) and because it is made in the USA.

Also, we did the breed analysis and it came back as Level 1 Pug (which means, if I read it correctly, that there is at least 80% of that breed. Obviously this wasn't a shock, but we thought another breed like Boston Terrier or something might pop up, just because of her scant mask and non-black ears.

As far as her chewing, she seems to be doing a bit better. I think she does it because she's bored and we've "Maggie-proofed" (as we say) our room so that there's not much for her to chew.

Thanks for all of your helpful tips!
Anya
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for coming back and posting an update. You know, your last sentence, if true, might indicate that if you gave her more to keep her interest, perhaps she wouldn't be so hell-bent on chewing on herself. Just a thought... Smile

chelseaamac
Baby Pup
Baby Pup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anya wrote:
Hey, thanks for coming back and posting an update. You know, your last sentence, if true, might indicate that if you gave her more to keep her interest, perhaps she wouldn't be so hell-bent on chewing on herself. Just a thought... Smile

By keeping her interest, did you mean toys? If so, there is more than enough to keep her attention in the toys department. When I say "Maggie-proofing" the room, I mean moving the trash can into the bathroom so she doesn't dig in it for bits of paper and things like that. She chews on everything from our pillows to books, so it's stuff like that we move out of the way.

The thing is, she chews on her paws as well as other things she shouldn't, even when toys are around. The only time she wont is if we give her a treat to chew on, but as soon as that's done, eventually she gets bored and licks her feet again (or they start bothering her--she does it less when we wash after taking her out).

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pug Snorts Forum Forum Index -> Ask a Pug Pal All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: